Installing Windows operating system from USB is a new trend in the market. There are many advantages of installing a windows operating system from a USB drive. The trend of CDs and DVDs is slowly fading away, and USB is taking the lead.
Windows 10 is one of the most popular windows Operating Systems present in the market. There are many new features present in Windows 10, which makes it a unique Operating System. Installing Windows from a USB drive is generally preferred because of its high speed and many advantages.
In this article, we will discuss:
- How long does it take to install windows 10 from USB?
- Whether installing a window from USB is a good idea?
We also look at the advantages of using a bootable USB drive for installation, as well as some disadvantages.
So, let’s start by discussing why people use bootable drives in the first place. There are several reasons for this, but one of the main ones is that they can’t get their operating system installed because their computer doesn’t support CD/DVD drives.
Another reason could be that they want to perform an upgrade instead of doing a clean install which requires them to format their hard drive completely before proceeding with the installation process. So if you fall into any of these categories, then you should definitely consider making your own bootable USB drive for windows 10 installation.
The OS of your computer must be windows 7/8 or 8.1 version to install windows 10 from a USB drive.
How much time would it take to install Windows 10 from USB?
Many people ask how much time does it take to install windows 10 from a bootable USB drive. The answer to this question is that it depends on various factors like your hardware configuration, how big the operating system files are, and your internet connection speed.
For Normal PC
Let’s take an example. Let’s say you want to install Windows 10 from USB on your computer with 1 GB RAM, AMD APU A6-5400K 3.6 GHz dual-core processor, and 128 GB hard drive storage space. If you take this case, then it will take about an hour to complete the installation process.
For Average PC
If you want to install windows 10 with 8 GB RAM, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, and 1 TB hard drive storage space, then it will take around 30-40 minutes to complete the installation process.
For High-End PC
If you have 16 GB RAM, 4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, and 1-2 TB hard drive storage space, then it will take around 15-20 minutes to complete the installation process.
If your PC has SSD (Solid State Drive), then it will take less time to install windows 10 (more than half the time compared to a normal hard drive).
So, this was all in the context of time. Apart from it, if you want to install windows 10 through USB 3.0 ports, then it will take even less time.
If you want to install windows 10 on a Mac, then on average, it will take around 30-45 minutes to perform the installation.
Can you run Windows 10 on a Mac?
If you are wondering whether you can install windows 10 on a Mac or not, then you should know that by using Boot Camp, you will be able to install Windows 10 on your Mac. Boot Camp is the official tool provided by Apple for installing third-party operating systems like Linux, Windows, etc., on your Mac.
Important Tips for installing windows 10 from USB
There are a few things that you must keep in mind while installing windows 10 from a bootable drive.
- Make sure you have a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 setup files. In case the USB is not bootable, Create a Bootable USB drive for windows 10.
- Your PC should have a minimum of 16 GB free space on the system partition to create and use an installation drive or disk. If you run out of space during the upgrade process, you’ll need to free up some disk space on your PC before continuing.
- It is also important to mention here that the USB drive must have at least 16 GB of free space to work with.
- Always keep your Product key ready before installing windows 10. You’ll be asked to enter the product key during the installation process.
- Do not use the same USB drive to install Windows 10 on multiple PCs, as this will be counted as a violation of Microsoft software licensing terms.
- If you are planning to install Windows 10 on a virtual machine, make sure that your system meets the minimum requirements for installing Hyper-V.
- In case you have a laptop, make sure that your power supply is connected to the system. You cannot install Windows 10 using Bootable USB on a laptop running on battery power.
- Press the correct key to boot from the USB. It usually is the F12 or one of the Function keys. Check your PC’s manual for information about which key that is or how to change the boot order of a device in the BIOS.
- If your PC doesn’t boot from USB automatically, you’ll need to change the boot order in the BIOS. Restart your computer and watch for a message telling you which key to press to enter setup or the BIOS. It usually is one of the Function keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.)
Advantages of using USB to install windows 10
- A bootable USB flash drive offers a faster data transfer speed than an optical disk.
- It is more convenient to carry a flash drive than an optical disk.
- It is also better than carrying multiple disks with you to install windows 10 on multiple systems.
- You can use a bootable USB flash drive to install windows 10 on multiple systems.
- You need not have to carry optical disks or multiple DVDs to install windows 10.
Limitations of using USB to install windows 10
- You cannot install windows 10 to an encrypted drive or BitLocker-protected drive.
- If you have a USB that is less than 4 GB, it cannot be used to install windows 10.
- You cannot install windows 10 from a compressed folder or a zipped file.
- Installation of third-party software is not supported while using a bootable USB drive.
- You have to make USB bootable with third-party tools.
Overall, installing windows 10 from a bootable USB drive is one of the best ways to perform an installation of Windows 10. It is a lot faster than an optical disk or a DVD. One of the biggest advantages of using a USB to install windows 10 is that you can carry it anywhere and use it as a bootable USB. Also, as you already know that you can always revert back or reset to your old OS using a system restore.
Note: If your computer is running Windows 8 or later and it supports USB 3.0, then it will reduce the time required to install Windows 10.
We hope this article helped you in understanding long does it take to install windows 10 from USB. If we have missed any important points, do let us know through the comments section.
If you are into USB devices check this article on: Best Cool USB Devices
Also read: How to fix loose micro USB port